Tuesday, September 1, 2015

God Speaks: In the Birds of the Air

In my last post, I mentioned that God has been using some old things to show me His continued love and attention to my heart.  I would have put it all in one post, but it would have been much too long.  These things are by no means the *only* ways he has shown me His love, but I am so thankful that He continues to speak to me in ways He knows my eyes will see and my heart will hear.

In September 2012, I wrote a post called Love Lives Here about my latest grave decor for my girl.  It included a birdhouse and feeder that I attached Bible verses to that reminded me of His care for me and for Rachel.  I put them up hoping some birds would set up their home for the winter there so when we went to visit each week, we 'would see life there'.  I put the verses for Rachel and how He healed her on the feeder - and the verse for me and how He will protect me and be a refuge for me on the house.

Not long after that, there are a couple more posts where I talk of how discouraged I was about this set up... the deer, the squirrels... who knows what... something knocked it over and ate all the food week after week.  It turned into a big mess that birds would not go near and only made me sad.  And so I took it down.

I put it here in my shed and each spring since then, I have hung the birdhouse in my lilac tree in our backyard.  Rachel has a lilac tree behind her too so it's my way of keeping part of her space here in mine.  I like to take things that have spent time there and put it up here.  

In my research before I bought it, it said if you want birds to live in it, you have to put a food source nearby.  So I never expected, nor was I watching for, birds to ever use it.  Especially since I have put it up and taken it down two other years and really just thought of it as decor.

One day a few weeks ago, Sam told me he saw baby birds outside.  I did the usual mom thing of "aww.. that's so cute Sam..." and moved on, too busy to slow down and look with him.  The next morning, I was in my bathroom and I heard birds chirping.  I mentioned it to Sam and he casually said they were living in the tree outside.

I'm slow, people... I still didn't put it together....

Days later, I was in the yard, watering my flowers when I saw something out of the corner of my eye... a bird flew out of Rachel's birdhouse!

I know it's not all that unreal that birds would use a birdhouse... but the timing, the wait, the message it sent... just what my heart needed - especially with all that happened in August and it being the 5 year anniversary of Rachel's diagnosis.



I remember picking that verse for the birdhouse three years ago.  I remember typing it, laminating it, figuring out how to get it to stay on (and I apparently did a good job!) - and just how much my heart and mind needed to know that He keeps watch over me, covers me with protection, and gives me a great refuge under his wings.

I needed to hear that from him this past month too.  I just didn't know how much until He showed me.

He covers me with his feathers and under his wings, I find refuge.

2 comments:

  1. You're all in my thoughts always~ You know I love you~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to let you know I am enjoying your posts. God speaks to me in special ways like this too. Isn't it nice knowing that even though we are intelligent enough to not need a physical sign he will still send them. Praying for you, hope you are doing ok. And looking forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete

We so appreciate your words of encouragement!
Thank you! ♥ The Aubes