Thursday, March 17, 2011

Which Old Wife is Lying?

Which old wives made up all the tales? 
Well, there are a few for determining if you're having a boy or a girl...one of which has been right on me the last two babies.  It's the ring one where you tie your wedding ring on a string and hold it above your belly.  If it goes one way it means girl, the other way means boy.

So, we tried it out. The answer?  Well, we weren't sure at first, it appeared to go one way and then the other a couple of times.  Matt said "it's confused"  and Des blurted out "maybe we're having a boy and a girl!"  (Isaiah has insisted I have a boy and a girl in my belly all week!)  But, eventually the ring trick settled on... Girl!

Another old wives tale says that if you crave sweets, it's a girl.  If you crave salty or sour things, boy.  I would say that this has been true with my four babies 2 girls, all chocolate... 2 boys, sour candy.  I am surprised by a strong food preference this early, but I have been eating a ham, cheese, pickles & mayo sandwhich every day.  I even skipped dinner and went to the store to get ham and pickles the other night because that was ALL I wanted (side note: I have never craved pickles before, I thought that happened in the movies!)  So, this points to... Boy!

But then I realized that as soon as I finished, I wanted a piece of chocolate and I thought, hmmm... even the food trick is confused...  do I want sweet or salty??  Or BOTH..... A boy and a girl! :o)

I will admit that I bought a cute little pink jacket before I even got a pregnancy test.  (I knew I was pregnant much before I missed my period- heartburn gives it away every time!) It was on clearance and I couldn't resist.  If the salty foods are right and the ring trick wrong, I'll give the coat to Hattie this fall. :o)  If the salty foods are wrong and the ring trick right, I'll put it on our new baby next fall.  If Isaiah and Des are right and the confusion is due to twins, I'll have to go buy a matching jacket in blue :o)

Some day when I'm an old wife, I'm gonna make up some fun stuff to keep people amused.  Until then, I'll stick to my intuition and guess....Girl. 
I've got a 50% chance of being right.  I pray we keep him or her long enough to find out. And regardless, we will be SO happy to have and hold a new baby(s) in our family.

This is starting to feel real...

6 comments:

  1. I do love using the Old Wives Tales to guess and see what we are having, and then getting to see if they were right! I'm also really happy to see the excitement for this newest Baby Aube is shining through, in spite of the axiety you must be feeling. I look forward to seeing what happens next in your story, and want to thank you for sharing it all with us. Happy and Healthy 9 Months!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post! I'm so excited for you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much fun!!! :) Love this post. The suspense is killing me, not really, but twins? That would be a crazy, fun addition to your family. Been there done that. At least you know you have a ton of help around! :) No matter what sex or how many are in there, I am praying!!! Glad you are having cravings and heartburn and all the other "fun" side effects of pregnancy. Glad too that because of it all it is feeling more real! :) YAY GOD!!!! :)Have a terrific weekend with your family.
    Carrie :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. With Kirsten I craved chocolate, never really ate it. And mashed potatoes and gravy from Popeyes chicken & seafood witch I hated back then. With Hunter it was steak and salt (that I never use even now). But with him I new he would be a boy, mothers instint. I had a dream before I got pregnant that I was breast feeding a little boy. But I can't wait to find out the suspense is killing me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sound so happy! I love this post. Wouldn't it be wonderful if you were carrying a girl! Or a boy! or twins! :) Always thinking of you and Rachel <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post was so fun to read, I love your logic on the jacket :)

    ReplyDelete

We so appreciate your words of encouragement!
Thank you! ♥ The Aubes